Wednesday, January 09, 2008


Adam Rose of the LA Times got a review copy of the new Reggie Bush book called "Tarnished Heisman" which is set for release on January 15th. There are some interesting nuggets in the book including this info which was provided to Rose:

Back on the negative side for USC fans, the book's accounting says $47,000 went directly to Bush out of the overall $291,000 that went to his family. That makes it hard to deny he knew what was going on. While the photo section lacks any photocopied receipts, bank statements, or otherwise, the Author's Note says that a website will publish much of it. As of this blog post the site ( has not gone live.

It should be interesting to see what if anything comes out of this whole situation. It makes me wonder how much Pete Carroll and his staff knew at the time about the whole Bush situation. Even though it is impossible to know everything about all your players I think it is safe to presume USC officials and their compliance office had to have some idea or knowledge of these rule violations happening around one of their star players at the time.

I think it became even more painfully obvious when USC denied Bush credentials to the Rose Bowl last season. USC is going to try to distance themselves away from Bush as much as possible especially now with what appears to be a credible hard copy book being released by noted publisher Pocket Books and written by former Sports Illustrated's editor and investigative reporter Don Yaeger.

I'm not sure if the Heisman committee would strip Bush of his trophy even if he is guilty. There has been no precedence in a case like this and Bush could continue to deny the allegations ala Clemens and Bonds without facing any real sanctions from the NCAA because of one rogue agent who obviously preyed on a college athlete and his family.

But then again what is the point of having rules and regulations if the NCAA doesn't enforce them? Maybe we should ask Miles Brand.


Well it's become painfully clear for Michigan fans new head coach Rich Rodriguez is completely starting with a new slate of personnel in his coaching staff and now his student-athletes. I put student in there because it's a fun word. We all know Michigan doesn't educate their "students". Just ask former Wolverine QB Jim Harbaugh.

The new Rodriguez regime has now pushed out their two best receivers in Mario Manningham and Adrian Arrington out of Ann Arbor and into future NFL $$$ while also leaving the roster without a quarterback with any game action with the transfer of freshman Ryan Mallett who will become a star in the right system. In fact Rodriguez more than welcomed the departure of Mallett with a nice little parting shot:

"I don't care," Rodriguez said. "He's not playing for Michigan. I'm concerned with who's playing for Michigan."

Dick Rod's message to Mallett was also a clear message to prep phenom and Michigan's #1 target QB Terrelle Pryor he wants him really badly. If you don't observe Urban Meyer's tactics you would know right now is a dead period in recruiting and thus coaches can not contact recruits. But Dick Rod's message of "he's not playing for Michigan" is aimed directly to Pryor's ears and essentially means this: GET ON BOARD NOW BEFORE MICHIGAN IS TOTALLY FUCKED!

If Michigan doesn't get Pryor then red shirt freshman David Cone will be the starter next season. In other words the atmosphere around Ann Arbor's campus during game days would not be pleasant. Anarchy would be one of the first words that comes to mind with Cone(not the jormer Blue Jay) as the starter next season. You thought Notre Dame football was bad well next season could potentially be worse for Michigan with all the losses of star players(Henne, Mallett, Hart, Manningham, Arrington, Long, Kraus, Crable, Graham, and Adams). I predicted earlier that the hiring of Rodriguez by Michigan just seems like a marriage of hell. If Pryor decides to go to Ohio State we might have an annulment in Ann Arbor.


Several media outlets, I mean real media not blog stuff, are reporting Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank is pursuing USC head coach Pete Carroll and all I can say is why? Why would Pete Carroll leave beautiful Southern Cal where his team is stacked with talent both on the field and off to go to Atlanta where the Falcons are a complete mess? I guess I can't blame Blank for shooting for the proverbial stars of coaching but did he not already learn from the mistake of hiring Bobby Petrino? College coaches rarely cut it as head coaches in the NFL. Steve Spurrier was a huge embarrassing failure. Carroll has already been a failure on the pro level even if it was just a few seasons with the New England Patriots. Carroll is meant to be a college coach. His goofy fake laid back style works in Southern Cal but I'm sure it wouldn't last in the NFL level.

By the way what happened to Blank hiring a new GM? Shouldn't he be more focused on getting a GM to replace the crap Rich McKay brought in over the years so the GM can make the call on the new coach? I know owners get the final say of who is hired but the GM's job is to find the head coach and if they are still using McKay to find one then Blank is a bigger idiot then I previously thought.

Listen Blank, you are wasting your time trying to talk to Carroll. He turned down overtures from the Miami Dolphins and the Oakland Raiders in the past, there is no reason for him to look at the Atlanta job as any more lucrative or attractive than those two jobs. Go find a good upcoming NFL assistant such as Rex Ryan or Mike Singletary and offer them the job.

Please stop wasting your time and my time with these blindfolded chances that will only leave you with more egg on your face.