SportsCrack Blog

Thursday, September 06, 2007

THIS DAY IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL HISTORY

In his first collegiate game 27 years ago today, Herschel Walker runs right over Bill Bates en route to a 16-15 win for the Dawgs over the Volunteers. The Dawgs would win the National Championship that season in large if not all in part to the phenomenal freshman.

I still think Walker is the best player I have ever seen on film to play at the collegiate level. A man among boys, I got to meet Herschel a few years ago and got an autograph while chatting with him. He seemed very humble and thankful that so many people adore him for what he did on the football field during his legendary days in
Athens.

In honor of Herschel this weekend I will be up in Athens for the South Carolina game and my plan is to drink 34 Natty Lights...so in other words I will be blacking out hard and fast...

No comments: