We got two weeks under our belts now of college football ecstasy. Some of us(USC and Georgia fans) are giddy about our team's chances while some of us including myself think this may be a long season. I've managed to catch at some point at least a half of play from all of these teams in my top 10 so I feel about as confident as a 10 inch softie that this top 10 is as good as they come.
1. Georgia Bulldogs-The Bulldogs have been the most impressive team to watch this year from top to bottom. Matthew Stafford is coming into his own and has complete control of a very talented squad. Special K has looked as good as advertised with 6 TD's already and Caleb King and Richard Samuel are two backs that most teams would die for and yet they are backups. Both set of lines are setting the tempo despite key losses to personnel and Mark Richt has the team focused on the prize which is a SEC Title then a BCS Championship berth. They shouldn't have any reason to overlook South Carolina this week after the Gamecocks beat them last year in Athens.
2. USC Trojans-I managed to see about 3 quarters of the Virginia dismantling to already instill in my mind that this team is loaded. Mark Sanchez wasn't touched and thus had a great game and the defense looked really fast while Pete Carroll smiled with his "eat shit" grin. Two weeks ago I thought the Buckeyes could beat USC but now I think they will have a hard time especially if Beanie isn't playing.
3. Missouri Tigers-Their offense is already clicking on all cylinders with Chase Daniel doing his best Drew Brees impersonation by methodically picking apart defenses. People seem to discredit the Tigers because of their history but if you watch this team they really are a great team. They are still my pick to win the Big 12.
4. Oklahoma Sooners-Stoops team has absolutely dismantled their first two opponents with an offense led by QB Sam Bradford and RB DeMarco Murray. They should have little trouble going against Washington this week as they look to further extend the knife into Willingham's fading credibility.
5. Florida Gators-The Gators were not on top of their game Saturday night against the Hurricanes but still won by more than 3 TD's. I know Tim Tebow is Superman and all but they need to figure out a way to run the ball with either Chris Rainey(way overrated in my opinion) and Emmanuel Moody to take off some of the pressure on Tebow. They have a week off to prepare for Tennessee and get their running game in order.
6. LSU Tigers-What in the hell do they put in the water down there in Louisiana? Obviously not very good levees. The Tigers again looked ready to contend for another BCS Title(remember they have two while USC only has one) with a defense as good as anybody and a running game led by Charles Scott who has breakout star written all over him in their season opener last week against App State. They should crush North Texas this week.
7. Texas Longhorns-This Longhorn team has fooled me before with inconsistent play but so far they look the part of serious contender. Colt McCoy has been phenomenal in the first two games while accounting for 8 TD's. I have little doubt this team will be undefeated going into the Red River Shootout with a chance to make a claim for a top 3 spot.
8. California Golden Bears-I knew Cal would be good this year but I just didn't think they would be this damn good. RB Jahvid Best is one of those names you might not know yet but once you see him play he is hard to forget. The kid can flat out burn people. Right now Cal looks by far to be the second best team in the conference behind USC and could have a legit shot to make a BCS game for the first time.
9. Penn State Nittany Lions-I will be the first to admit that I thought this team would be garbage this year. They are far from it. JoePa has managed to keep the players focused on the task at hand even when some of them are in handcuffs. Remarkable in my book. Don't laugh but State Penn could win the Big Ten this year especially if Beanie can't return for the Buckeyes.
10. East Carolina Pirates-The only team in the country to have beaten two ranked opponents so far, is Coach Skip Holtz the early favorite for coach of the year or what? They crushed West Virginia behind a swarming defense and look to be the best non-BCS conference team to have a shot at reaching a BCS game. It's just a matter of time before people start talking about Holtz going back to alma mater.
So if you look real close you can see I don't have Ohio State in my top 10. They struggled to beat Ohio at the Horseshoe and just don't look like they have the eye of the tiger yet. Maybe that will change this week in the Coliseum. If not they will get embarrassed again on National television.
If you have any thoughts about your team or opinions on the poll please feel free to post them below.