SportsCrack Blog

Monday, October 20, 2008

THE RAYS ARE GOING TO THE WORLD SERIES


You got to hand it to the Tampa Bay Rays for not completely choking and letting the series against the Red Sox slip through their fingers. The Rays were the better team all season and beat the Red Sox best pitcher in Jon Lester twice with great performances from ALCS MVP Matt Garza. I thought the Red Sox were going to win this series after coming back from a 7-0 deficit in game 5 to extend it and then winning game 6 in St. Petersburg kind of gave me that whole "destiny" bull shit feeling. But you have to love this Rays team. Their payroll is below 50 million and they have a bunch of kids who are playing their hearts out and for the first time this season are learning how to win at the major league level. If anything it gives this Orioles fan hope going into next season. If the fucking Rays can make the World Series then why not the O's?

I will have my World Series preview and prediction up tomorrow. I totally whiffed on my league championship predictions going 0-2 but I'm still up 4-2 overall this postseason. Both the Phillies and the Rays are playing great fundamental baseball right now so it will be difficult to pick a winner but right now I am leaning towards the Rays. I am an American League guy after all.

3 comments:

Cheese-Whistle Mcstink said...

Being a national league guy, unlike you, you bastard who has lived in Atlanta 3/4 of your life, I am going to go against my roots, and cheer for the Rays. You've got to love a team that goes from worst to first. They are playing with tons of heart, and deserve to win the big title. I loved watching them celebrate last night, seeing the sheer joy in their actions and behavior. Much better than seeing J.D. Drew look and sound like a whiney bitch no emotion robot, even after hitting a game winning home run.

Go Rays!

Cheese-Whistle Mcstink said...

PS- I do like to cheer on the O's though, because of you, but when it comes to Baseball I like the boring old National League.

Matt Fairchild (matt@sportscrack.com) said...

I root for the Braves but my loyalty, my one true love in baseball is for the O's. But you knew that already. I'm looking forward to this World Series as a fan of baseball. I have a bunch of friends that are huge Phillies fans so part of me will be pulling for them but another part of me will be pulling for the Cinderella team in Tampa Bay. Before the season started they were 200-1 odds to win the World Series. That is fucking insane. They are strikingly similar to the 91 Braves so I know you can't help but root for them.

F that mercenary douchebag JD Drew. I thought it was sad and hilarious at the same time when they interviewed him after game 5, a game in which he delivered a huge HR and the game winning hit in the 9th. No emotion, not a fucking care in the world was his expression. He may have a ton of talent but Drew is a soul less piece of garbage who only cares about who is signing his checks.

Okay, I'm done, feel better now.