Today the coaches released their initial preseason poll for the 2016 season.
Let's take a look at their top 25...
1. Alabama - Can't really argue this. Nick Saban is coming off another NC (his 4th at Bama) and despite looking for a new QB Bama is loaded with talent at every position.
2. Clemson - Deshaun Watson and Dabo Swinney's team would have been my pick for #1. They were a couple of plays away from going undefeated last season. Expect them to contend again for a playoff spot.
3. Oklahoma - I'm expecting the Sooners and Baker Mayfield to take a step back this season. On paper they look great but whenever Oklahoma comes in with a lot of hype they seem to disappoint. I still can't get over them losing to Texas last year.
4. FSU - I guess the ACC is now the best top tier conference eh(if we are counting ND as a member)? Who's going to play QB for the Seminoles? I would recommend giving the ball to Dalvin Cook and figure it out as the season goes on.
5. Ohio State - Don't expect the Buckeyes to take a step back just because more than half of their starters were drafted by the NFL. Urban Meyer has QB JT Barrett back and plenty of 5 star kids waiting to prove that 2015 was a false flag of a season.
6. LSU - I love Leonard Fournette but I don't see LSU contending for anything unless they can find a reliable QB. If the Bayou Bengals struggle again this season Les Miles will be forced out.
7. Stanford - Christian McCaffrey can do it all. Run, catch, pass, return kicks. He's the best all-around player in college football and should have won the Heisman last year.
8. Michigan - The schedule sets up favorable for a playoff push in Jim Harbaugh's second season in Ann Arbor. I'm not convinced the talent is there yet with rival Ohio State but it wouldn't surprise me to see the Wolverines make the playoffs.
9. Notre Dame - Yes the schedule is somewhat difficult but if the Fighting Irish can avoid the injury bug that has devastated their last two seasons they should again contend for a playoff spot after narrowly missing it in 2015. Expect Deshone Kizer to start vs Texas in week 1.
10. Tennessee - The Vols are the favorite to win the SEC East which really isn't saying much these days. If Joshua Dobbs can step up his game and get more accuracy with his passes past 10 yards the Vols could be legit.
11. Michigan State - You know Mark Dantonio will have his team contending for the Big Ten title yet again despite losing starting QB Connor Cook. Never ever count out Sparty with their head coach.
12. Ole Miss - The only team to beat Alabama the last two seasons returns Swag Kelly (the self-proclaimed best QB in the nation) and some excellent players who they paid a lot of booster money for. The return on investment better pay off for the Rebels.
13. Houston - Tom Herman is back. Greg Ward is back. They destroyed FSU in the Peach Bowl. They went 13-1. Why are they ranked this low? Not sure but I wouldn't be surprised to see them beat Oklahoma week 1 despite being a double digit underdog.
14. TCU - The Horned Frogs collapsed down the final furlong stretch last season but don't expect coach Gary Patterson to play the sympathy card. TCU can win the Big 12.
15. Iowa - Until the Hawkeyes play a legit schedule I can't seriously take them as a playoff contender. Did anyone see them get slaughtered in the Rose Bowl?
16. Georgia - First year head coach and potential first year freshman QB starter doesn't usually pay high dividends especially in the SEC. New coach Kirby Smart will clean up the mediocrity Mark Richt left but it's going to take a few seasons.
17. USC - Clay Helton is officially the head coach of the USC Trojans. WTF? Here is live reaction of FUSC faithful: