SportsCrack Blog

Monday, December 13, 2010

Muschamp's a GAY-tor!!!

Photo Courtesy of Getty Images
Wow!?!?! What else do you say?!?! Will Muschamp, the ex-UGA safety and coach-in-waiting from the Texas Longhorns is succeeding Urban Meyer at Florida. While Muschamp deserves a pat on the back, I have to admit, I'm sad to see our two biggest rivals, yes I'm omitting GA Tech from the title of "biggest rival" until they learn how to beat UGA, coached by UGA grads. While it has to say something about the distinction of the UGA pedigree, Derek Dooley and Will Muschamp are now frienemies and Florida's Assistant AD is now UGA's AD... CRAZY TIMES!!!

To scare me even more, there have been rumors that Muschamp is going to pull Kirby Smart from Alabama. I'm in no way advocating for Richt to leave, but Smart is my one hope for UGA's next coach if Richt is not around in the next couple of years. While pulling Smart would be a genius move by Muschamp and Florida, I'm praying they can't pull it off.

It's going to be interesting to see a shift in mind set from offense to defense for the Gators. Florida has the atheletes, the recruiting base, and a hell of a recruiter as their head coach. The Gators are going to stay scary good for a long time if things work out. I'm not sold on the idea of "hot assistants" being able to perform at head coach consistently, but if anyone can do it, Muschamp can. The good news is that even the best head coaches have issues in their first year and with a shift in mind set and a new coaching staff being brought in, next year may be another tough year for Florida. The bad news for Dawgs fans like me, Florida's sun is still shining and it's going to shine brightly for years to come.

1 comment:

Matt Fairchild (matt@sportscrack.com) said...

I'm not convinced and I don't think Gator fans are either that this was an excellent hit it out of the park hire. You never know how assistant coaches are going to be as the head man and in a high profile job like Florida I'm kind of surprised they went with one considering how Zook did after Spurrier left. For all I know Muschamp could be the next Urban I'm just saying I'm surprised they didn't go after a proven head coach like Mullen or Peterson.

Oh and by the way I really like the Al Golden hire at da U. If he could turn around Temple there is no telling what he can do for the underachievers down in Miami.

Miami hire of Golden= solid A
Florida hire of Muschamp= B-