SportsCrack Blog

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

URBAN MEYER QUITS


It seems like we have been down this road before. Urban Meyer again cited health and family as the reason why he will quit (sounds better than "steps down" since he isn't taking a demotion) as the head football coach of the University of Florida effective immediately after the Outback Bowl on January 1st. This according to GatorZone....

“I have been a Division I football coach for the last 25 years and, during that time, my primary focus has been helping my teams win titles,” Meyer said. “I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it, and I am a fierce competitor to my core. At this time in my life, however, I appreciate the sacrifices my 24/7 profession has demanded of me, and I know it is time to put my focus on my family and life away from the field. The decision to step down was a difficult one.

“But after spending more than two decades motivating and celebrating the young men I’ve been so proud to coach, I relish the opportunity to cheer for my three terrific kids as they compete in their own respective sports. I know how fortunate I am to be in a position to make this choice and to have a family that is as loving and supportive as my amazing wife and children have always been.”


Of course we heard this last year when Meyer pulled his first Brett Favre and told the media he was going to "step down" and focus on his health and family. A few days later, actually hours later, he changed his mind and decided to come back to Gainesville. Without Tim Tebow and aided by the ineptitude of offensive coordinator Steve Addazio's play calling the Gators struggled to a 7-5 record this season. They got their asses handed to them by numerous teams including FSU and Alabama.

So now the question is who will replace the great Urban Meyer? Here are my three choices. You decide for yourself.

A) Dan Mullen
B) Dan Mullen
or
C) Dan Mullen

It will happen. Expect by the end of the week for current Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen to be named the successor to Meyer. He knows the landscape of the Swamp having coached there recently under Meyer and is familiar with UF Athletic Director Jeremy Foley. Losing Meyer hurts the Gators of course but Mullen is the best replacement possible. He should continue to bring in top recruits and win in Gainesville.

So in other words don't get your hopes up Georgia fans. Meyer may be gone but the Gators could be better coached next season with the same players back who beat you this past season.

Fuck.

No comments: