SportsCrack Blog

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

30 YEARS AGO: JOHN LENNON ANNOUNCED DEAD BY HOWARD COSELL



I was only 1 at the time so I have no recollection of this Monday Night Football game but it still sends chills down my spine when you hear announcer Howard Cosell say "an unspeakable tragedy...John Lennon...shot twice in the back...dead on arrival!" I don't even know how I would react. There are those times you remember exactly where you were when you heard so and so died. The one I can remember most vividly besides a relative was Chris Farley. I had just gotten home from college after driving the 11 hours down 1-85 from Baltimore. My mom told me as soon as I walked in the door. I was devastated and I didn't even know the guy but I thought I did. I couldn't imagine how people felt when trying to enjoy a Monday Night football game to learn the great John Lennon was shot down so cowardly by obsessed fan Mark David Chapman 30 years ago to this day. Fuck Chapman. Tonight you should "Give Peace A Chance" and hug and thank your family and friends. Life is too short. Sorry to get all sentimental. It's just hard to "Imagine" something like this happening today.

1 comment:

Cheese-Whistle Mcstink said...

Nice post, Matt. John Lennon was the man, and it is a bloody shame that Mark David Chapman was even born.